Saturday, May 9, 2015

This is my first blog ever. I just got a smartphone for Christmas, and now a blog. This '50's girl is moving into the now!

Why do I need a blog?  I want to post a tutorial. I discovered Pinterest this year while surfing for ideas for quilts, and it opened up a new world to me.  I started pinning my own quilts, and saving ideas from other quilters on my boards.

I have a degenerative neuromuscular disease, so I can't struggle with a full size quilt for free motion quilting.  I did a large baby quilt this week with simple walking foot quilting, and it trashed me for 3 days. I will not do that again. Back to blocks no larger than 18".

I have googled QAYG, Quilt-as-you-go, fun and done in every version on every site I can find. For hours. People have shared on Youtube and blogs, and I thank them all.
Living on just Social Security, there's no way I can afford to pay to have my quilts quilted by someone else on a long arm. Besides, I like to quilt my own quilts.
I started using various one-block at a time methods, then tried the different joining methods.
The joining strip method is pretty easy, but doesn't work when it disrupts the pattern,
My own method joins front and back with no sashing.
The fun and done method uses joining the backings, and then hemming in front. See my Tula Pink blocks quilt below for that type of sashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment